8 Things Your Life Coach Won’t Do For You
A life coach can sometimes be considered a jack-of-all-trades on steroids. In the grand scheme of things, there’s really not much a life coach can’t help you achieve. But, there is a catch. Well, not really a catch, but a principle that no one else can do but you, and that’s actually doing the work.
You see, it’s a life coach’s mission to set you up for success, not to achieve it for you. If you look at it like basketball, think of a life coach as the point guard throwing the alley-oop. It’s perfectly given to you so that all you have to do is slam it home.
Let’s take a further look at eight things you shouldn’t expect your life coach to do for you.
1. A life coach will not set and achieve your goals for you. What he or she will do is provide you with all the tools to identify your goals and then keep you accountable to achieve them yourself. A life coach will never take action for you because that’s simply not his job. His job is to empower you to accomplish your own goals.
2. A life coach will not go on a date to find your ideal partner for you. A life coach will help you dig deep and identify what you are looking for in a partner, then motivate you to put yourself out there and find that love for yourself. If you’re looking for someone to meet a girl, talk you up, then deliver her to your front door, a life coach might not be your best bet for that.
3. A life coach will not find your ideal career or business for you. Based on past experiences and expertise, a life coach will help you to identify a career or business you’d love and excel at, but he won’t do the searching for you.
4. A life coach will not negotiate a promotion for you. A life coach certainly will not go to your place of work, talk to your boss, and tell him or her how much you deserve a raise. What a life coach will do is discuss some strategies as to how you can show your boss that you deserve the raise, and then practice negotiating with you so that you’re prepared to have the one-on-one with your own boss.
5. A life coach will not grow your business for you. I’ve never heard of someone hiring a life coach to direct and execute a grand marketing scheme to grow a business – that’s what a marketing specialist is for. A life coach will help you identify the right pieces to put in place, and where to focus your energy so that you can grow your business on your own.
6. A life coach will not make more money for you. A great life coach can help you make more money, but he won’t do it for you. Instead, he’ll set you up with the tools and mindset necessary to – as mentioned earlier – nail the promotion, grow your business, or find a better, higher paying job.
7. A life coach cannot make your tough decisions for you. No matter how much you’re struggling with making a decision, a life coach will never make it for you. He or she will set you up with as much information as possible to make an informed, wise decision, but again, they’re your decisions to make – not your coaches.
8. Finally, a life coach cannot dig your way out of a rut. But he or she can lend a helping hand to pull you out. If you’re in a rut, it’s on you to make the necessary behavior and attitude changes in order to improve your current standing. A life coach can help you identify what those changes are and help keep you accountable to do them.
To wrap things up, a life coach will never take action for you or make major decisions for you. That’s simply not his job. What he or she will do is set you up with the tools and information you need to make things happen for yourself.
After all, winning the game feels so much better when you contribute to the success of your team, instead of just riding the bench.